It is with great pleasure that we present a report
on UNA-NCA's forum on the Global Goals for Sustainable Development, "Thinking and Acting Locally and Globally on Common Social, Environmental, and Economic Goals"
, which took place on October 27, 2015.
The discussion focused on:
- Implementation strategies of the Global Goals on a local and international level
- Successes, best practices, and lessons learned from the post-2015 agenda negotiations
- Wide and inclusive nature of Global Goals and their targets
- Current and future active engagement of the public and private sector
- Urgent need to raise awareness of the Global Goals and conduct advocacy work
The keynote speaker, Mr. Tony Pipa, Special Coordinator for the Post-2015 Development Agenda, spoke on how the Global Goals reflect core American values of freedom, human rights, and equality. Overall, Mr. Pipa found the Global Goals adoption process, and the local and global applicability of the Goals, inspiring. Ambassador Elizabeth Cousens (ret.), Deputy Chief Executive Officer, UN Foundation, moderated a panel of distinguished local, national, and international leaders.
This report also highlights the ongoing work of incorporating Global Goal targets from organizations and businesses such as Bread for the World Institute, Women Thrive Worldwide, Save the Children, TOMS, and the Community Foundation for the National Capital Area. The report concluded that the Global Goals can only achieve its ambitious targets through multi-sectoral collaboration and vested interest from both public and private sectors on a local and global level.