05 April 2017
UNA-NCA Young Professionals Board of Directors Position Openings - Spring 2017
The UNA-NCA Young Professionals program cultivates future globally minded leaders in international affairs, spanning nonprofits and the public and private sectors through professional development programming and leadership and mentorship opportunities. YP BOARD OF DIRECTORS POSITIONS SUMMARY
UNA-NCA seeks motivated individuals for the UNA-NCA Young Professionals Program to fill five (5) volunteer leadership roles on the YP Board of Directors to serve as a co-director for a specific portfolio. These positions provide key leadership and programmatic support to the Association's full membership, in support of wider strategic organizational goals and initiatives overseen by the Executive Committee and full-time staff. The YP Board of Directors oversees a portfolio of activities related to UNA-NCA's Young Professionals membership, events, communications and government affairs initiatives.
- Volunteer Leadership Position.
- 2-5 hours per week.
- Up to three (3) monthly in person meetings held in the Washington D.C. Metro area.
- Directors are selected to serve a 2 year term, with the opportunity to extend.
- Applicants must reside in the greater Washington D.C. area and be current UNA-NCA Members. Join here and select DC-Nat'l Capital Area Division as your chapter.
YP Co-Director of Communications & Advocacy
- Craft communications strategy for YP engagement for current and potential member audiences in coordination with UNA-NCA Vice President for Communications and Vice President for Advocacy.
- Play a key role on organization communications including on social media networks and other traditional media outlets.
- Develop and implement individual communications and advocacy action plans for events and ad hoc fundraising initiatives led by the YP program in coordination with UNA-NCA VP for Advocacy, Maryland Area and Virginia Area Vice Chairs.
- In coordination with Director of Membership and Outreach, serve as a liaison to the UNA-NCA Communications Committee and UNA-NCA Advocacy Committee.
YP Co-Director of Membership & Outreach
- Craft membership and volunteer strategy and outreach plans for YPs in the greater DC and Baltimore areas in coordination with UNA-NCA Vice President for Membership and Volunteer Engagement
- Work closely with the UNA-NCA Board Student Representative to implement strategies around student engagement.
- Engage current members, working closely with Director of Communications & Advocacy, to increase retention of members and volunteers.
- In coordination with Director of Communications & Advocacy, serve as a liaison to the UNA-NCA Communications Committee and UNA-NCA Advocacy Committee.
YP Co-Director of Operations
- Serve as secretary for the YP Board, keeping all records of meetings and conduct follow up on all taskings and project assignments.
- Manage all resources created by the YP program that can be shared and adapted by other program committees across UNA-NCA.
- Oversee budget and financials for the YP program working closely with UNA-NCA staff and Vice President for Finance.
- Coordinate all YP leaders and oversee meeting management, including space, scheduling, agendas and follow up.
YP Co-Director of Programs
- Serve as project manager for all YP focused events.
- Develop resources for committees and students for event planning and serve as a key advisor on programming for YP audiences in coordination with UNA-NCA Vice President for Education and Programs.
- Manage the flagship International Career Dinner event hosted twice annually.
- Coordinate event needs with UNA-NCA staff and fellow directors, including marketing, registration, volunteer engagement, and budget
YP Co-Director of Development
- Oversee all fundraising and development efforts by the YP program.
- Craft annual fundraising strategy and plan geared specifically toward YPs in coordination with UNA-NCA Vice President for Development.
- Work with UNA-NCA staff and Board leadership on local partnership engagement for YP programming.
- Serve as the liaison to the UNA-NCA Development Committee.
- Ideal candidates are young professionals, graduate students and recent graduates in the Washington D.C. Metro area.
- Passion for the United Nations and international issues a must.
- Academic background in international affairs, journalism, communications, conflict resolution, public policy, security studies or international development desirable, but not required.
- Ability to manage tasks in free time and work within deadlines.
- Strong professional communications skills, including public speaking and frequent e-mail correspondence, required.
- Experience working on group projects and/or in a team environment highly desirable.
- Available for some events outside of normal business hours, on as-needed basis.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter addressed to UNA-NCA YP Program at
. Please mention what position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. In your cover letter, please indicate no more than three (3) of the YP Board positions for which you would like to be considered.
Interviews will take place throughout April and May with final candidates chosen by June.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis so apply early!