Serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia, UNA-NCA strives to:
- Increase public understanding and support of the United Nations.
- Encourage constructive US leadership in strengthening the United Nations.
- Prepare present and future leaders to work for a better world, both globally and locally.
As a steward of our local community, our nation, and our interconnected world, we need to think globally and act locally.
- A public fully aware of the benefits of global cooperation through the UN in partnership with civil society and the private sector.
- Tomorrow's leaders well prepared to work through the UN for a better world.
- Opinion-makers and policy-makers fully informed and committed to US leadership to improve the effectiveness of the United Nations.
Independently incorporated in 1953, the United Nations Association of the National Capital Area (UNA-NCA) is the largest and most active of 120 chapters of UNA-USA, a program of the UN Foundation.
The successes of UNA-NCA are attributable to the dedication of a small staff and an enthusiastic and hardworking cadre of volunteers and supporters.
UNA-NCA's 2014-2016 Strategic Plan (.pdf) provides a roadmap that will enable UNA-NCA to prioritize the activities that advance our core mission, to increase our financial and staffing capacity to respond to unmet demand for the UN-related programs we uniquely provide, to promote synergies among the students, young professionals, and experienced leaders who constitute our membership, to achieve greater efficiencies and coordination among the many program activities we offer, and to expand our reach through partnerships with other internationally-focused organizations in the national capital area that share common objectives.